Donate please

Monday 17 June 2013

Diagnosis: Leukaemia ALL Ph+ on 7 February 2012 and happy birthday to Barbara

Believing that I had a gallbladder issue, due to a continuous pain I have been suffering for more than a month, I ended on the emergency room (again).

For me it was a routine visit related to a gallbladder pain, I thought: maybe I will get some painkillers through the vein and then go back home... tomorrow I'll go to work, etc, etc... But this time the night before I had fever and the nurse explained to me that they needed a blood sample.

The results were back and the Doctor asked my husband to come and sit, I noticed he was really serious and stiff and told us the results were abnormal, that something in my blood was somewhat strange, I only had 7 platelets and almost no blood cells of any kind. I felt the doctor was really scared, more than me, but he always told us the truth from the beginning which was very different approach from what I was accustomed (being born and raised in Venezuela – South America).

venezuela south america leukaemia all ph+
Venezuela my country of origin
I was in a private hospital with no insurance, so the doctor suggested to be transferred to the Royal Women Brisbane Hospital, the biggest and advanced hospital of Brisbane and a cancer investigation centre. After a few minutes the paramedics arrived and took me to this hospital in an ambulance (I have never been in an ambulance before), we waited to be admitted at the emergency about two hours it was almost dawn by now.
In all this time my friends took turns with Oscar (my husband) to stay with me and keep me company, I never felt alone but I was really scared, I trembled like a leaf... they thought I was cold but I wasn't.

I was admitted… Oscar filled up a lot of paperwork by my bedside and he usually answered questions for me, I was just trembling and thinking.

On the emergency room I was seeing and observing everything around, you are in a bed on a ‘room’ made from curtains and all is clean, organized and you could say: pretty and sterile.

I remember the doctor that attended me had beautiful red hair and was a Canadian, always stayed with us and never left my side. She said more blood test will be needed but they were certain that I had some kind of cancer blood.

So, I had to have a blood transfusion, the first of my life, the doctor sat with us chatting and checking my vital signs all the time just in case I had some reaction to the blood. Nothing weird happened.

Of course she asked us why we decided to move permanently to Australia (I imagine getting us distracted from the whole thing) and she told us why she moved from Canada to Australia as well.

Nurses came in, they needed another blood sample, they keep doing tests, I had a platelets transfusion as well, for each process a bunch of doctors came in and I had to sign consent forms for everything, I really lost count about all the papers I signed since I came in that night.

The morning came, I certainly didn't sleep at all, and Oscar stood there with me in a really small and uncomfortable chair.

At one moment I remember I told my husband: "It's ok, all is going to be fine, don't worry"

Since that day the 7 of February of 2012, three days after mi 31th Birthday, I did not left the hospital until four and a half weeks later.

No comments:

I am reciting every day

All is Good in my Life

I am beautiful

I am open to new and exciting experiences the Universe offers me